Someone questioned how a person could attend many classes at a conference.  I
used to belong to a sewing organization that held an annual seminar for half a
week.  Most of the classes were 3 hours long so people could go to two a day.

The main point to consider is that these classes taught a single technique
each.  3 hours was long enough to present it, practice, and move on.  Our lace
making techniques/styles take much longer.  Yes...some things can be presented
in one-two-three hours, and these short classes are available the day before
the main classes, on the break day in the middle of the week, and the day after
the main classes end.  Some people can only come one day, so may register just
for that one day and take part in the special short classes.

As mentioned, taking a weekly class is most ideal for learning and practicing
the lace techniques.  Most of us are not near such classes.  Taking a
concentrated course in one week is the next best way.  For many people, these
conferences or a book are the only options for learning a new lace style.  If
you want a live teacher, these conferences or workshops or retreats may be the
only option.  If you belong to a group, you might import a teacher for a local
class for a weekend, and split the costs.  It could be close to the IOLI price
for a 12 hour class, but without the hotel and the rest of the fees.

Commercial hotels are expensive.  Schools usually are less expensive but have
less luxurious rooms and facilities.  Many schools can readily hold only a
smaller size group than IOLI often has.  Watch for smaller retreats/workshops
for less expensive opportunities.  It's an interesting experience to attend at
least one big conference, though.  I wish our economy made it easier for people
to attend them.

Alice in Oregon ... where the sun finally came out but the wind is still chilly.