I love my Kindle!
Speaking from the standpoint of a person who has begun to  suspect that she 
doesn't own the books, but instead the books own her, I ask  myself before 
every book purchase, is it possible to get it on Kindle. Moving to  a bigger 
house is not a possibility and there are no more walls for shelves.  When I 
buy more books, I go to my shelves and try to find ones that I can get  rid 
of to donate to the library book sale. But, the library book sale is so  
flooded with books that they stop taking them after a week. Meanwhile, I live  
near a city of readers with small apartments who force books on you because 
they  "think you will like them", and sometimes even secretly leave bags of 
them in  your house. There seems to be some rule against throwing away 
books, so no one  can do it.
Yes, some books, like lace books, reference books, books with  a lot of 
pictures and books that will be used in wet places are better in paper.  But 
books that are just read are cheaper in the Kindle edition, and they can be  
reread and they don't waste trees. In fact, I probably have 50 books on my  
Kindle (I think its capacity is over a thousand) and that means I don't  have 
to have a shelf in my house for them. When I go somewhere with a high  
expectation of time to read, I often decide I need a book that is easy to read  
and fast moving for some occasions, and a book that is difficult to read 
because  I really want to read it. But what if I am almost finished with both 
the easy  and the hard book. If I am within 50 pages of the end, then I need 
a back-up  book, in case I finish it. This starts to weigh a lot. The Kindle 
is lighter  than any single book, but it can be an infinite number of 
books, and you can  hold it and turn pages with one hand. This is convenient 
because  I sometimes lose circulation in my hands or have them cramp up from  
prolonged book holding. In addition, suppose you are somewhere and you  
desperately need a book because you haven't bothered to download one in advance 
 
or you didn't know how long a glucose tolerance test took. Then you can  
download and read several excerpts of books for free and decide which one  to 
buy. The excerpts are quite long. Often more than a chapter and there  are a 
lot of books I decide not to buy after reading the first 40 pages or  so. 
During my glucose tolerance test I downloaded one preview after another  of 
books I had thought I wanted to read, before deciding which one was  actually 
worth reading and buying and downloading that. Thus you can equip  yourself 
with a book from anywhere. This reins in the expensive practice  of  
"stockpiling" books that you think you may want to read, but never  actually 
do, 
because you happen to see a physical copy and are afraid you  won't be able to 
find a physical copy on that day you actually want to read  it.  The 
electrical cost of the Kindle is negligible  compared to the savings on the 
Kindle 
editions and the charge on the battery  seems to last forever. I only wish 
there were more books in Kindle format. 
I love libraries, and sometimes find myself checking out  a book  that I 
think I must own, but the library organizes them so you  can find them. They 
have a paid staff to do it. Many of my books are not  organized by any other 
principle than the size of the shelf. My wallet bulges  with library cards 
and I was asked to serve on a focus group for the future of  my local 
library. A very interesting thing that emerged from the focus group was  that 
the 
older participants were converting to Kindle, despite liking the  "feel of 
holding a book and the sensation of the paper pages", because of  the weight 
factor of carrying books, and once they converted, they loved not  having to 
port books around on vacation. Meanwhile, the younger participants,  parents 
mostly, were reading Kindles themselves, but were adamant that their  
children be exposed to paper books with lots of illustrations, lovingly read by 
 
librarians or parents, in a fun atmosphere. I thought that this was sort of  
interesting, since it was imperative to book loving parents that children 
be  exposed to books the way the parents were, but that the children would 
actually  be observing their parents reading Kindles not paper books, and as 
we all know,  children actually tend to want to copy their parents because 
their activities  look "grown-up". 
As for audio books, they are great for marathon lace making  sessions. 
Sometimes I put the TV on while making lace, but there is this visual  aspect 
of 
TV that I then miss. With audio books that is not the case. Then, when  the 
effects of marathon lace making sessions begin to impinge on my health, I  
disconnect the chiclet sized device that I keep only for audio books from 
its  speaker, clip it to my T-shirt and connect the earphones and go for a 
walk  or to the gym. I only wish there were more books on audio books!
I think that the various shortcomings of the e-readers, such  as not being 
too good with pictures, etc. will be solved by future developments  with the 
e-readers, or perhaps even specialization of reading devices. At my  
daughter's school the poor kids were carrying back-packs that were so heavy 
that  
it was a serious health concern, and at the time we were all eager for  
developments that would make it possible to have the text books on electronic  
format. Maybe that has been worked out by now. 
The biggest problem with the Kindle, right now, is that the  airlines won't 
let you turn them on during the first few moments of a flight,  which I 
believe is a lot of hokum. But, I imagine that this too shall pass.  Right now 
I am facing a bout of jury duty and wondering if I can take the Kindle  
there. My husband thinks there might be some issue with that because of the 
need 
 to isolate jurors. 
 
Devon

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to