There is a lull in Arachne postings, therefore, the following:

Recently, I cleaned and mended a lace collar for a new member of our little
 group of Maine lacemakers.  Usually I restrict myself to caring for my own
 collection, which always needs attention, but this was the photographer
who  volunteered so much time and expense to photographing the French chateau
laces that are on the International Organization of Lace's Ning site, where
 they all can be seen in color and detail (not possible in our lace
bulletins).

It came to mind today that she had bought the lace collar via ebay,  sight
unseen.  Before, I've written that lace purchases should include  holding
the item in your hands and giving it a close examination on both  sides.  This
is because photos on ebay and similar sites do  not reveal all.

In the current Maine Antique Digest, a very large monthly publication  that
is very widely distributed, I read something that those buying old or used
laces and lace supplies should consider:

"It seems strange that collectors who spend so many lonely hours on the
Internet checking dealers' postings, searching auction catalogs, e-mailing,
texting, and Tweeting do not go to antiques shows to carefully examine
objects  of desire.  At a show, they could engage in conversation and good
fellowship and get a personal tutorial on the fine points of connoisseurship
from
passionate dealers who have plunked down hard cash to buy something of
merit.  Are the patterns of modern living so packed with events that
attendance at antiques shows cannot fit into normal schedules?"

You could substitute "lace dealers selling at lace events, local  antiques
and re-sale shops, auctions, and private sales" for "antiques shows"  and
arrive at the same conclusion.  This is the get-out-and-explore season  in the
Northern Hemisphere.  It is a good time to seek lace-related items  during
your travels.

I learn much from internet postings, but never buy from therm.   The hunt
for special items is so much more fun.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center