---- alexstillw...@talktalk.net wrote:
Unfortunately, although I can knit and have done
fairisle, the wrong hand is dominant and I feel like I am fighting myself.
Like you, the experience means I hate it.

Interesting result!  I'm a lefty and my mother's righty.  She taught me most
things for lefties, but I wasn't able to get the hang of knitting from her.  I
figured it out in my late 20's, right-handed.  It doesn't bother me to knit
"wrong-handed".  I chose to learn guitar right-handed, too.  But tatting?  I
can barely do it left-handed but right-handed is a lot worse.

-----I have taught myself to crochet and tat right handed and can teach them
successfully to right handers.  When I teach a left-hander I feel confused
about what to say regarding the words left and right and end up just working
slowly saying ‘do this’. It works but it would be better if I could add
the commentary.

This would be because the movements are no longer properly associated with the
words.  It's like seeing a three of hearts playing card with the little hearts
painted black.  People will, when faced with this, often call it a three of
spades.  Some get so disoriented by the discrepency that they can't even get
the number right.

For many years I wore my watch on my left hand so I could wind the stem.  I got
tired of it getting in the way when I reached for something and put it on my
right wrist.  I didn't notice the relationship at first, but I did notice I was
having a lot of trouble touch typing.  I got tired of looking at the wrong
wrist to tell the time, and put my watch back on the left and this time I
noticed that my typing was back to normal--my brain unconsciously associated
the feel of the watch with left/right hand.  When cues are out of synch, your
brain gets confused.

When I took a knotted needlelace workshop from Gretchen Allegier, lefties were
in the majority--8 of 11 students!  She did great 'switching gears' for us
lefties, but then had trouble teaching the righties.  We'd gotten her all
turned around and right-handed work looked "somehow wrong" to her.  (Don't
worry, she got straightened out after class!)

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com

Parvum leve mentes capiunt