Hello spiders,

I had a good time in Belgium, doing both lace and other
things. However, I discovered that two museums are closed and another exhibit
has been taken down:

There was a lace museum in Marche-en-Famenne, but it
has closed. The best I can figure out is that the lace itself may have gone to
a local organization, L'Academie des Dentelles de Marche-en-Famenne, but their
website doesn't 'work'--I can't get anything to come up when I click on their
links. Maybe it'll work under someone else's browser:
http://dentelle.marche.be/.  The address associated with the Academie appears
to be a private home. No one answered either of the two numbers listed for the
old museum nor did they return my calls when I left messages.

The small
museum in Binche is closed, and the laces back in private hands and not
available for study, according to the head of the lace group in the area.

Finally, in Bruges, the lace exhibit in the Volkskundemuseum has been
closed--not clear if/when it might be put up again.

Diane Claeys, of Claeys
Antiques and Lace in Bruges, has moved to Japan permanently. If I've
understood correctly, however, the shop in Bruges will stay open under her
daughter Nathalie. Her selection of antique lace is fantastic.

Not
surprisingly I second Chris Parsons' recommendations of the other 'real lace'
shops, especially Rococo and their sister shop (I don't remember the name of
their other shop, but ask at Rococo) for antique lace, Schaerlacken for lace
supplies, and Kantcentrum of course for both their museum and the shop for
supplies. His painted bobbins with scenes from Bruges are exquisite, and are
carried by all three of these shops.

Nancy,
Connecticut, USA