Hi Karen and fellow Arachnids.

We use hackle pliers (the smallest size available) which were originally created for tying fishing flies (fishing supply shops). They are ideal to tie a new thread onto a VERY short end.

Clip the hackle pliers to the short end and slip the loose weaver's knot over it and onto the short end, then tighten until the weaver's knot "turns over" -usually with a very soft click-, take the hackle pliers off the thread and test. If it does not hold the first time try again until it holds.

Joepie in East Sussex, UK

From: Karen M. Zammit Manduca
Subject: [lace] Third Hand

Hi All,

Some years back I managed to buy a 'Third Hand' to help when trying to hold
a short thread on a lace pillow while knotting another bobbin onto it after
accidental breakage.
The tool end (i.e. the part that holds the thread) is brass or similar and
it is attached to a fine wood handle, rosewood if I remember correctly. It
is a lovely tool in appearance.
Perhaps someone out there can help.

Thanks,
Karen in Malta.