Jenny stick those cold feet into a hot tub of water and get started. If you
like Estonian and you can do the nupps, then do the Estonian shawl...they
are marvellous. I can give you a tip...when making your yarnovers for the
nupps stretch your left needle out and make sure you have lots of room and I
use the click shut plastic yarn markers that look like big safety pins. I
put it through all the yarnovers after they are made so when I come back on
the purl row I don't miss one and have the nupp unravel on me (a tip I
picked up watching an Estonian lacemaker make nupps on u-tube) The larger
you make the yarnovers the easier it will be to purl them all together and
you will have pretty nupps. Also every 10 rows or so, use buttonhole thread
of a contrasting color and a size 24 tapestry needle and run a lifeline
through every stitch on that row. DO use lots of yarn markers to mark off
all repeats and be careful NOT to put your lifeline through any yarn
markers. I do some very difficult patterns that have pattern on every single
row and the lifelines are essential!!! They will save you a lot of
exasperation when you make a mistake and have to back up...nothing will go
past that lifeline. Also since your silk is so wonderfully fine, you will
want to make sure you use very small needles. I have two gossamer shawls on
0000 needles but you can use 00 if the 0000 needles frighten you. Make sure
you have excellent lighting and as little distraction as possible so you can
focus. It is NOT hard but distractions can lead to mistakes. I copy my
patterns and put them in plastic folders so I can tape colored moveable tape
on whatever line I am currently on. It helps prevent you from dropping your
eye off the correct row.

What pattern to pick ? Since you bought such sensational yarn, Pick the
pattern that speaks to you, not to anyone else...the one YOU like best. You
would be surprised, but some of the prettiest shawls in that book are the
easiest. Oh if you have the dvd in the back of the book watch it...she is
full of tips. (also if that yarn is really tooooo skinny you can double it
considering how much you have...just take the yarn from both ends and start
knitting from there. NONE of those patterns use 5,000 yards (I am working on
a pattern that uses 6,000 yards so they do exist, but not in Nancy's book)

Cearbhael