Dear All

It is of course difficult to work out how a textile was made just
by looking at it, but don't forget that the basic tools for making something
can be used in many different ways.  Just because something is made with lace
bobbins on a lace pillow does not ensure that it is made using cloth or half
stitches or whatever we would now use with a standard foot-side.  The braid
used in Chinese braid embroidery is now typically made on a set-up spookily
similar to a modern lace pillow.  While a pillow as such is not used, just a
surface on which the braid is formed without pins, and a roller at the back
for the braid to be wound on, the bobbins are lengths of bamboo with a hook or
a notch at the top to hold the thread, and a spangle, of coins, washers or
beads to weight it at the other.  The actual braid produced can be fancy, with
complex weaves and colours, but basically has a bias weave.  One major
difference from bobbin lace is that a thread can pass
 over two or more other threads at a time - something I don't think we ever
do, though I suppose we could have a twill weave in an area of cloth.  The
best book on the subject of which I know is Jacqui Carey's Chinese Braid
Embroidery ISBN 0 9523225 6 0, published  by Carey Company of Ottery St Mary,
Devon, UK in 2007.  It shows how the braid is made and used, and any bobbin
lacemaker could easily replicate it using his (or her) equipment; you could
easily make a useful customised trim for another project with it.  The
ingenuity of the workers in improvising apparatus is amazing - anything from
beautifully made stands produced by a father or husband to an ordinary wicker
basket.  The insights into the social side of the work and workers, and how it
is affected by modern events - synthetic materials, machine-made tapes, the
tourist trade - make the book well worth a read by themselvs.  It also shows
how similar braids can, and were, made by finger
 looping - with a sample made and sewn into a 17th century English instruction
book.  There is also a picture of a braidmaker from Oman making a braid called
tili.  She is using a small bolster on a stand, no pins, and it looks as
though her threads are still on the original reels, secured by a half hitch -
one way of minimising joins and avoiding bobbin-winding!  I sometimes think
that the only way some mysteries will be solved is with the use of a
time-machine, though I can't see the BBC extending the Historic Farming series
to Dr Who and the lacemakers.

leonard...@yahoo.com