As a modern day lacemaker I have a computer, Photoshop, scanner, printer,
cardstock and clear contact paper, and I'm not afraid to use them!  I make
nearly all of my prickings by printing them on my home computer onto light
blue cardstock and covering with clear contact (sticky backed plastic).  I
have an inkjet printer and the ink can smear if it becomes damp.  So it is
absolutely necessary to cover it with clear plastic to avoid a disaster.  I
also like that it gives the cardstock just enough extra stiffness.  I usually
don't make the lace more than once so it doesn't have to be extremely stiff.
I can always make another pricking if necessary!  I usually preprick my
patterns.  I have never had a problem with sticky pins.  I have been pulling
them out by the hundreds as I work on a Binche sampler.

I have a small stash of the blue plastic that I've picked up from lace
vendors.  I bring it to the IOLI conventions.  For class projects you usually
don't need a very large piece.  I can easily see why teachers make copies onto
white paper because you never know what color will work for everyone.  The
best solution was when I was emailed the pricking in advance and could prepare
it as I desired.

Anita Hansen
Doris Southard Lace Guild
Cedar Rapids, Iowa