Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone, Brian I see you have beaten us to it (we still have 11.5 hours to go in the UK) as it was tomorrow when you posted your reply - no 'mere mail', but super-fast by my reckoning :-)

Anyway, my first thought was the toggles that are used in Japanese clothing to hold cords secure, as then the holes would be explained. That though doesn't fit in with the varying numbers of holes, making this a set.

Possibly they were the hoods like on German bobbins where the hood keeps the thread clean - but again, if for that use why have more than two holes?

I'm wondering if, as each would make a different sound and there are eight notes in an octave, these are actually from a wind chime?

In message <009501cf05df$23909ec0$6ab1dc40$@brandis.com.au>, Jenny Brandis <je...@brandis.com.au> writes
Are these actually lace bobbins? What would you use them for?

http://www.rubylane.com/item/370063-004620/9-Antique-Chinese-Hand-Carved

--
Jane Partridge