I have a notebook which has 5 rings at the top and 9 at the bottom with a
space so that a label can be put on the spine.  It also has a firm cover and
when closed the rings only stick out a little at the back and not at the
sides at all, which means it doesn't catch on things when put on a shelf.
Because it is rings the pages open flat.

You can see an example at the site below - called an Account Record Book (an
account of.... rather than financial accounts).

http://www.buyonlinenow.ca/buy/blueline-account-record-book-BLIA7903C01.asp

Malvary in Ottawa where it was only -13 today with a wind-chill
of -21, but I still have a skating rink for a driveway.