I was in Cedar Rapids visiting my elderly aunt (I was born there) the year after it flooded. The Czech museum itself was damaged on its ground floor as it (was) right on the Cedar River, but I understand its been rebuilt. They were able to move much of the lace and other valuable/interesting items to the upper floor so they were not damaged. They did have a small exhibit in a store front in a shopping mall which we were able to see. There were several beautiful costumes there, with a small amount of lace. It was indeed wonderful and with the museum restored, it would definitely be worth a visit. As my parents moved to Phoenix, AZ when I was 3 months old and I've only been back half a dozen times, there isn't a lot more I can say about the area.

Linda, the String-a-holic in Oregon - wishing I could go to Convention!

-----Original Message----- From: Sue Babbs
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:53 AM
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: Re: [lace] 2015/Iowa/Czech-Slovak & Hoover Museums - More

The lace and costumes at the  Czech & Slovak Museum are well worth a visit.
I went to a special exhibit they held while my son was at college nearby and
enjoyed it a lot. I saw that the committee said that they are working with
this museum

I would also recommend a trip to the Amana colonies for local culture (and
wonderful quilting fabrics).

Sadly I think the convention is happening after the open air Shakespeare
theatre in the parks in Iowa City will have finished for the season.

Sue

suebabbs...@gmail.com