Yes there is alot of ethnic lace at the Czech-Slovak Museum.
I was there
before the flood, about 7-8 years ago and the museum was great.  And now, with
the new building I understand that it is even better.  When I went, they were
having a lace workshop.  I think they have done more workshops since I was
there, but it seems that the curators know and appreciate lace and textiles.
Can't wait to go back again.  My mother's heritage is Czech and I was raised
going to community Czech festivals in the summers and eating the food my
grandmother made.

As for the area:  It really is a lovely region.  Just down
the road from Coralville (probably 15-25 miles) are the Amana Colonies.  There
were (I believe) 7 colonies all  few miles apart that still preserve the
structures of German communal farm living.  The food is not to be missed and
is served 'family style'.  The Amana Colonies are a National Historic
Landmark.

Just to the south of Coralville is a small town called Kalona.  It
is truly an Amish/Mennonite area.  You can see horses and buggies coming/going
into town during the day.  On the drive there and back you will see pristine
farms of the Amish people.  There are several country stores that have unique
products.  It is in an Amish fabric store in this area that I get my cotton
organdy for my Carrickmacross Lace projects (there, my secret is out!).  I had
looked all over for just the right organdy to no avail until I realized that
the Amish ladies 'Prayer Caps' were made from this fabric.  Kalona also have
an historic village that depicts the lifestyle of the Amish people in the
area.  It's one of those small museums that are quite the gems!  The town has
alot of antique stores too.

Karen Bovard
The ShuttleSmith
Omaha, NE