Lace = a collective noun, meaning all lace taken together or used in a
general sense.
Laces = the plural of lace when talking about many different varieties of
lace.
e.g. Cheese (in general), Edam Cheese (a particular variety of cheese), but
the Dutch cheeses (meaning all the different ones as a group).
My bit of "wisdom" as a Dutch person, and an English language teacher.
Agnes Boddington - Elloughton UK

If I were to refer to the many different kinds of lace in  France, I would
say "the laces of France" as in "The laces of France are many  and
exquisite". If I were to buy an auction lot of different pieces of lace, I
would say I bought a box of lace.