Dear Devon and all  Correspondents Participating on Arachne,

My original May 19th memo was about Lace Editors and  Proofreaders.

Yes, proofreaders would love a Lace Style Sheet,  Devon!  However, the
structure of languages differs greatly, and Lace is an  international passion
enjoyed by many people reading this in English - not  in their primary
languages.  Much is impacted during  translations.  Choice of words, spelling,
grammar, and punctuation  come to mind.

Translators volunteering their language talents to editors of the
quarterly OIDFA Journals spend many hours trying to make an article  written
in
French comprehensible in English, or making an English  article enjoyable for
French-speaking members to read.  It is  stressful for the non-professional
translators, but so appreciated by members of  the International Bobbin and
Needle Lace Organisation.  (This is the  official English spelling for de
l'Organisation Internationale de  la Dentelle au Fuseau et à l'Aiguille.)

My best proofreading  suggestion is easy.  Read what has been printed
aloud.  You  will probably realize when a word is missing, a sentence is too
long, or something is confusing.

I wrote the memo that set off this discussion because there are so many
things the presence of a good editor and proofreader improves in our lace
publications.  However, often there is no proofreader.  We need to  convey
accurate information, with the realization that researchers  will use what we
publish 100 years from now.  Every lace group  publication needs a
proofreader.  Every self-published lace book needs a  proofreader.

At a business and professional level, books are not being properly
proofread in the 21st century, which annoys literate readers.   Here are a few
examples of what I mean:

Fiction and non-fiction books are full of errors of all possible  kinds.

There is a relatively new book  about 19th century art needlework in my
library.  The preface  refers to it as a thesis.  It contains so many
convoluted  sentences that it was very difficult to read.  It seemed to me
that the
author (Cluckie), who lectures at a university, took her  text straight from
another author and twisted the sentences around to avoid  being accused of
plagiarism.  What a waste.  It makes my skin crawl to  think that this
author is being paid to teach others.

Very expensive books from  publishers such as Yale University Press and V &
A Publishing  have met my eagle eyes, and failed.  Specifically, sections
of their  books researchers will use: Notes and Bibliographies.  Authors seem
to  be putting un-proofread and un-verified content in these  sections.

Institutions  and publishers who have become sloppy now receive a letter of
 complaint from at least one person.  They do not reply.  But, they  know
someone is reading *all* the pages in their books and has higher
expectations.

If you enjoy a lace  newsletter or bulletin that is well-edited and
proofread, please thank the  persons who have donated their time toward making
your
reading time more  enjoyable.

Jeri Ames in Maine  USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center

In a message dated 5/19/2014 12:35:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,