Next week I get to lead a one day bobbin lace introduction class at a textile 
center.  They are having a week of classes with a different skill/craft 
presented each day.  I'll have 5 hours to teach the rudiments of bobbin lace to 
8- 12 ladies.  To have enough class time for be able to make something, i have 
the bobbins all wound, and the pillows will have the patterns mounted on them.  
I'm also taking four experienced lace makers to assist so all questions can be 
immediately answered, and mistakes caught promptly.

We will be doing a Christmas Spiral which is mainly a straight strip of 
clothstitch, with a couple sections of twists in the middle to add interest.  
When finished, it will be wrapped around a dowel with or without hair spray, to 
turn it into a spiral.  It starts and ends on a slant.  The thread ends at the 
bottom are tied in tassels.  The neat thing about this pattern is that is can 
be ended at any point down the length and still make a pretty spiral.  Everyone 
can work as far as time allows, and then end it at that point.  Even the slower 
students will have a finished item.

I found it interesting when making samples that the strips would twist and hold 
shape without stiffening.  We are using tightly twisted crochet thread, and the 
twist of the thread makes the whole thing want to twist.

This sort of crash course is not our usual teaching method so we are rather 
curious if it will work out as we hope.  The textile center is over an hour's 
drive from my home so this is a major excursion.   The five people going are 
from four different towns so just getting there in only two cars takes planning.

Finding 12 empty pillows was a challenge.  I came up with 8 and the other 
ladies found the rest.  I have lots of bobbins so that was no problem.  I now 
have one week to finalize any diagrams and/or handouts to use with the class.  
Other than that, I just have to pray for good weather crossing the mountain.  I 
don't like to drive that road in pouring rain.

Alice in Oregon

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to