This guy seems to have convinced some organisation that it is a new invention by some of the notations I am seeing. (?patent?)

It probably qualifies, though undoubtedly it has its origins in historical bobbins that are pre wound/ hooded etc..

It looks to me as if he has made some real improvements in his mechanism. I suspect the “red” portion of the insert is a “rubber”(?) clutch (for want of a better word) that allows the bottom portion to be turned in either direction, without return, thus the ability to lengthen and shorted the thread on the pillow.

Regarding the two holes: One leads to the pillow, the other allows the thread to be guided as it is wound or unwound from the hidden neck without it becoming tangled

I think it is pretty clever, but whether it has advantages to lace makers, only you guys can assess.

I gather that the hooded bobbins, the parchment/celluloid/acetate, (whatever), noquette were designed to help keep the thread clean. It seems also that metal thread lace had a similar hidden spool on some bobbins ( I have forgotten the details!! (getting old!!)

I have looked at his other bobbins and accessories, and I think he is a good turner with a practical and imaginative mind.

Nice to say hello to you all again!

Brian


Brian Lemin
Cooranbong. Australia
www.ukulelejass.com
-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to