This morning, I was looking at Joan Masterson's "Ethnic Sampler" book, and
came across something some of our lacemakers may not know:  Scoring  fabric.

When you have a piece of linen and want to square it up and fold the edges
under, it helps to score the reverse side of the fabric.  This is also
useful when hemstitching:

1.  Practice on a scrap of linen fabric before doing it on your  finished
work.

2.  You need a hard surface, such as the waterproof cutting  boards
quilters use.  These usually are printed with grids, and are handy  to have for
several purposes.  (I sometimes hand-block newly-washed  delicate laces on one,
because the grids help to align the lace.   Pressing the lace into place
with warm fingers is sometimes all that is  needed.)

3.  Lay the front of the linen down, place a medium size Tapestry  (blunt)
needle in the channel where you want the fold.  Hold a steady,  gentle
pressure with the needle (keep it in one position -  tilted toward you) and
pull
the fabric away from the needle in a straight  line.  A sharp crease should
result.

Joan was a teacher of many needle techniques, and even taught  Norwegian
Hardanger at the 1991 IOLI lace convention in New Jersey.   That is about as
close as she came to making lace.  I hope you have  seen Hardanger taken
down/down/down along an edge, and then cut so the edge is  very much like lace,
held with but a few remaining woven threads.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center