There were few, if any bone continental bobbins.  I guess that’s mostly
because even the heavier breeds of cattle around two or three centuries ago
didn’t have bones thick enough to form into the bulbous shape that most
continental bobbins have.

Brenda

> I cannot make lace at the moment and don't know whether I ever will again.
Therefore I've been thinking that I should put some of my best bobbins on
display to admire. This brought me to wonder about bobbins during the days of
professional lacemakers. I know that there were bone bobbins in England but
what about on the continent? If they existed, what type(s) were they? If they
didn't, why not?

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk