I did a similar workshop with Jane at a Lace Guild convention a few years ago
and found it very interesting.  If you have accurate scales and sufficient
thread you can of course find the Tex, or dTex of any thread/yarn.  If you are
looking at very fine threads you probably need to measure off 20m rather than
10m.

What I thought was really useful is her way of making sample pieces using a
pricking which gradually increases in scale.  Start with one which looks a bit
small and work through until it’s obviously too big then look at the
sections to see which looks best.  The sample pricking is in jane’s book
‘Contemporary Lace for You’.

Brenda

>  this wondrous information was presented in Jane's class at IOLI convention
in Iowa.  It was quite a revelation as we measured & weighed & tested the
results.  We all brought threads & yarns, some without labels etc.  While I'm
sure we had a few threads that are in Brenda's book, most were not.  One of
the students wanted to use a fuzzy/furry yarn & was concerned about the halo &
how that would affect the pricking size.  What she found was that the halo
didn't matter, probably because it was accounted for in the weight.  When a
test swatch was made, the corresponding dot grid proved to be the best one for
her chosen yarn.  Most of us use Brenda's book, but she can't know every
thread & yarn on the planet.  Jane's method can be especially useful for items
that Brenda can't reasonably measure:  yarn you've spun yourself, artisan/one
off threads from fairs/festivals or no-name/no-label goods lurking in your
stash.

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk