Julie, it’s not clear what is meant by ‘skein’  I know from the
knitting/crochet forum Ravelery that there is a lot of confusion about that
word.  To me, in UK, a skein means a small hank, but a lot of Americans seem
to use the work skein to mean a centre-pull machine wound ball.  If your skein
is in the form of a loose coil or hank then you most certainly do need to wind
it into a ball before you try to use it - for BL, for knitting, for crochet or
any other use.  If you try to use it directly you will soon learn why you
shouldn’t; it will sooner or later end up in a tangled mess.

If it’s an oval ball shape ‘skein’ you can use it directly from the ball
and you can pull from the inside or the outside according to your personal
preference.

Brenda

> I don't think the instruction is exactly that I must never wind bobbins
> directly from skein. I think the instruction is that whenever I use a skein
> must spread it out totally, not let it bunch up, and I put something in the
> center so stop the loops of yard from merging. So: a chair back, an arm and
> foot, two feet. So if I want to just pull yarn out without giving the
matter
> any thought I need to wind the yarn into a ball.

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk