There are many strong aromatic herbs in addition to sweet bay that will repel
insects, but:

-repelling is preventing something from settling in, not killing what has
already made it's home; herbs that discourage colonization may not be as
effective for chasing them away once they're down inside your pillow.

-it's a lot harder to kill mites than insects (they're distantly related)

-the smell in those aromatic herbs is an oil; while they might smell nicer to
us and be safer for us than insecticide, that doesn't mean they're safe for
lace threads.  I don't know which (if any) herb fumes can discolor thread or
even weaken them.  Have you ever kept cinnamon or cloves for a very long time
in a glass jar?  It gets etched by those lovely smelling aromatic oils!  I
doubt this is a hot topic among textile conservators and it may never have been
investigated.  Jeri, do you know anything about herbs and thread?

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com

Parvum leve mentes capiunt