(There are a lot of quotation marks around the publication name in this
review.   I do not know how they will show up on all the receiving  devices of
today.  My original of this article, for a local  lace newsletter, showed
"Golden Hands" as italicized and in bold print,  features Arachne's equipment
does not handle.  Please let us know if  this is coming to you with a lot
of extra confusing characters.)
----------------------------

"Golden Hands" is an apt name for a series of  1970s publications
originating in the UK.  Some of our best  US and UK lace and embroidery
teachers
began to develop their  skills in these years.

One of the Arachne members in the UK wrote privately asking about  "Golden
Hands".  Whom do you think would have them, and within reach?

If you happen upon any of these 1970s weekly publications, look to see  if
they have projects suitable for teaching young people.  There are  sometimes
projects for the quite young on the back covers.  By now, "Golden  Hands"
parts are probably being donated to rummage sales, or you may  find them in
vintage merchandise offerings.  They are periodically offered  on eBay, and a
search will bring up pictures of covers, etc.

Once all 7 binders containing these were down off the top shelf in my
library, and before re-shelving, I thought it might be nice to have a re-look
at
 all crafts presented, and think about any present and future impact of
"Golden Hands".

1.  Design:  All the icon artwork (they called them Key symbols),
including the "Golden Hands" logo of hands threading a needle, are  appealing.
And,
the 1970s projects have, generally, stood the test of  time - many being
suitable for use in 2016, if you adjust colors.

2.  Historic Collector's Pieces appeared in most  issues:  Part 1 presented
the 16' x 6' petit point 1600-1615  Bradford Table Carpet (collection of
the V and A Museum).   A decade later, I had the good fortune to begin to see
various  outstanding textile items that had been featured in "Golden  Hands"
during embroidery tours of the UK, and was taken on a private
run-around-the-museum to see this item by the (then) well-known  V and A staff
members,
Joan Edwards and Thomasina Beck.  They  preceded scholars you know today,
like Santina Levey and Clare Browne,  and they authored a number of very
highly-regarded 20th Century  textile-related books.

3.  Advertising:  There is very little.  Only items  that could be
purchased by mail order from the publishing company, usually  occupying only
one
page per issue.  Four items were on the back  cover of the first issue -- a
hand-held movie camera and projector for  filming projects, sewing machine,
adding machine and portable typewriter.   Today (45 years later), many people
have hand-held cell phones that perform  filming, math and texting functions.
 And, sewing machines are quite  different.

4.  Incentive to be creative:  By Part 4, I found myself  stitching the
needlepoint (canvas work) presented on the cover (still in my  textile
collection).  Part 5 began to teach needle-made lace and Part 6 had  wonderful
needle-made lace borders for fabric items - something  timeless that one could
teach today.  By Part 7, we could  learn Macramé.  And so on.  Tatting was i
ntroduced in Part  12.  Bobbin Lace finally appeared in Part 25, featuring the
equipment  required.  Actual instruction progressed in Parts 26, 30, 59,
66, 75.   Parts 62 and 63 had Hairpin crochet.

5.  Publishing details:  In the U.S. "Golden Hands" was  promoted as 75
weekly parts at a cover price of 95 cents.  The first  issue actually
contained
Parts 1 and 2.

(c) Fratelli Fabbri Editori 1966, 1967
(c) Marshall Cavendish Ltd, 1971
Published by Marshall Cavendish Ltd.
Printed in Great Britain

There was a 1972 sequel set called "Golden Hands New Guide" in 14  weekly
parts, at 95 cents:

There were some double-size subsequent monthly issues in  1973 called
"Golden Hands  Monthly Magazine".  They had a cover price of  $1.95.

All these were purchased at a news store in the Greenwich Village
neighborhood of New York City.
Permission:  You may print this review to place in your  copies of "Golden
Hands" - for future users, or you may publish it in a local  lace
newsletter.  If in a newsletter, you can illustrate  with the cover of the
first issue
of "Golden Hands", which is easy to  find with a simple computer search.
The first issue has a ball of gold  yarn, spool of gold sewing thread,
scissors, and a thimble on the cover.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center