I think I get all the messages, so hopefully it also gets back to you and to
the list.
Agnes Boddington - Elloughton UK

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
lace
Sent: 14 March 2016 21:05
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] email problems/Celtic demo

Perhaps the first person who has an account that can read this email and
also
share it to the list will do so. I would be most grateful.
Unfortunately this email problem has been quite the deterrent to me posting
because some people get my post and then respond and others get upset that
they didn't...I am on several facebook page lists as Jane mentions. In fact,
am the editor of the International Organization of Lace's facebook page.
(IOLI
members, please send me news of your group with pictures!)
One thought is that the medium is the message, and the facebook pages with
their lavish picture possibilities become very visual, as in "look what I am
making", whereas, Arachne where it is considerably harder to share pictures
has been the discussion site of the philosophers of the lace world, tackling
the important intellectual issues that confront us.

For instance, I was dying to respond to the posts about the Celtic
demonstration. I, too, favor making a Celtic design. In addition, I think
that
if someone were to ask too many questions, one could divert into a
discussion
of linen production in the Celtic areas that would suffice until the person
lost interest and walked away. And yet, later, I know that someone will be
at
a cocktail party and hear another guest expounding on how important bobbin
lace making is in the Celtic culture because they have absorbed that lesson
from the Celtic festival. Hibernian societies will be puzzled when they are
contacted with questions about bobbin lace making and it will be our fault.

So, Clay's point that people demonstrating lace at Civil War battle
re-enactments does not serve the interests of education is well taken. It is
matter of pride with me that I can think of some kind of relationship to
almost any theme of a public gathering that would justify a demonstration
since we are so eager to demonstrate. But, I suppose a more realistic
scenario
would be to show Civil War women at home making lace to while away the hours
until their husbands returned, or didn't. I think it is quite likely that
there were people doing this at home, as a pass time, although, not at the
battlefield as Clay points out. But, the activities of women are often in
the
home and as a result, do not make such good outdoor festival subject matter.
Also, how are the women supposed to enjoy battlefield recreations? People in
Gettysburg have them yearly, and I am sure many couples would like to go
together. But roles for women are very limited. There were some women who
joined the army under the pretext of being men back in the day before
routine
physical examination was part of the intake process. Apart from that,
Laundress and Prostitute come to mind. But, they were probably rather far
from
the actual battle themselves, and their activities would probably only reach
full swing after the battle were over.

One question is whether such battlefield recreations, or Celtic fairs, are
primarily educational, or just a good excuse to get the kids out of the
house.
I am inclined to think that the organizers of such events are quite eager to
have some form of display/entertainment that doesn't involve selling
something. Many people do not don sun screen and costume to assemble in a
field unless there is a specific economic incentive. We lacers are a happy
exception to that rule.

Another interesting question is how educationally accurate any of these
events
are, since members of the public do not flock to scholarly slide shows, but
prefer a little more entertainment with their scholarship. In fact, even
museums are under pressure to provide a lot of entertainment with their
exhibits. Not long ago I went to a Genghis Kahn exhibit that was so weapons
oriented that at least half the attendees were teen age boys, a group not
usually well represented among museum goers.

One response to the moral quandary of lace demonstration at a Celtic
festival
would be to make Irish crochet, if one had that additional skill set.

Devon