Hi Susan

Stephen Simpson and Atelier MB Medalfaden 40/2 are unknown to me, nor have I
seen the Benton & Johnson threads.

Coats/Mez/Anchor are all the same company so yes Coats Ophir and Mez Ophir are
the same.  (I think it’s just that they are marketed as different brands in
USA and Europe, and possibly also Japan.

Presencia make two metallics - ‘fine' which is a wrapped thread and 2 ply
which I’m pretty sure is two lies of the ‘fine' spun together.

DMC used the name fil metallise (which of course just means metallic thread)
for four different threads!
The one that’s Art 270 is rayon and lame = 2S/3Z - 22 w/cm
Art 272 is also rayon and lame in a different proportion and is 2S/3Z - 21
w/cm.  These two are very similar
Then there is Art 278 which is polyamide and polyester = bound/3S - 22 w/cm
That’s rather different
Also Fil metallise 50 which is 4S - 29w/cm, different again.

I haven’t seen any Rajmahal metallic thread, the only Rajmahal thread I know
of is a rayon intended for machine embroidery.

Brenda

> On 8 Jun 2016, at 01:53, hottl...@neo.rr.com wrote:
>
> Hello All!  Gil Dye's metallic edgings are calling my name & I thought I
would start out by working a few strips in plain cotton or linen before
jumping off on the metallic threads.  To orient myself, I started with the
thread comparisons on pg 8 & ran into a snag when I couldn't find some of the
threads in Brenda's book.  Just guessing here--it seems like the Benton &
Johnson passing & tambour plus the Jap thread would not normally be found in
her thread index because they are goldwork threads rather than lace.  I am not
familiar with Stephen Simpson or Atelier MB Medalfaden 40/2 so have no clue.
Is Coats Ophir the same as MEZ?  There are two entries for DMC Fil Metallise:
4S 29 & bound 27, but maybe they are close enough size-wise that it doesn't
matter.  Plus I wasn't sure about the correct Presencia thread--in fact I
didn't know they make metallics!  If anyone has worked these edgings, would
you be willing to share what you know about the threads?  Are there some
logica!
> l thread substitutes for ones that haven't been tested by Brenda?  Has
anyone used Rajmahal threads?  I own some stranded Rajmahal metallic that is
similar to DMC Mouline, maybe slightly finer.  Any help will be most
appreciated.  Many thanks.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
USA

> -
> To unsubscribe send email to majord...@arachne.com containing the line:
> arachne.modera...@gmail.com. Photo site: