It is especially important in the US to wear lace, as so many people have
never seen or really heard of hand made lace.  I wear T shirts a lot, so
that’s where I put it.  I like to use Aurifil, as that is quilting thread,
made to be washed.  It’s sturdy, same wpc as Egyptian 60.  It is a risk, as
Etheopian food has turmeric in it, and the only thing that took that out was
Oxyclean, which requires hot water with the inevitable shrinking.  Usually
wash the ‘lace’ T shirts in the washer with cold water, hang to dry.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA