I’d be a worried that the oil in this head cement would penetrate the lace
further than the spot where you put it. Oil changes the colour of natural
fibres - I’ve damaged dozens of T-shirts when a small drop of oil turned into a
nickel-sized stain! You can scrub a T-shirt and use stain removers on it, but
that sort of heavy intervention would damage lace.

Plus I don’t want hard spots here and there in my lace. I’ve never seen head
cement, but it doesn’t sound soft and pliable to me.

When I first started lacemaking, and was using thicker threads, I would put a
dab of fabric glue on each knot. Those dabs, though the glue was advertised as
clear and non-staining, turned deep amber colour within a couple of years. I no
longer use anything on my lace that won’t rinse out.

Usually by the time a lacemaker is making the finer laces where threads are
added and taken out, they have absolutely no problem with ends. There are many
techniques - you can run them into dense cloth stitch and then just clip close
to the surface, you can run them for a while with the gimp and then clip off -
there are whole books devoted to these tricks!

Hope this helps.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)