Dear Susan,

Yes, there is way too much to know about lace (and textiles, in  general).
Since I've seen no Arachne responses to your inquiry about  "Chinese
laces", please tell us more about what you wish to understand: the
author/document/page(s) where you found the referenced subject.  I'll take  a
look, and
perhaps can find more recent books that can be of help to you  - in my private
library of books still covered by copyrights.  Here is  a repeat of the
direct access address for laces:

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/lace.html

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
In a message dated 9/12/2016 2:50:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,