I see no problem with using support pins if you need them and if they help you
get your lace looking how you want it.  I am sure the Öld-timers”would have
used whatever they could to assist in making the lace.

I also use coloured pens to mark my prickings before I put the contact on
them. I find that helps, too – Who cares – no-one else sees the prickings,
and if they do – so what?!!!  (You all know I am rebellious and go
“radical” every now and again!!! )  I worked a fairly dense Beds piece –
with Overlapping 9 pin edge, and when I first looked at the pricking and tried
to follow the lines of the plaits I could see where there might be a problem
if I wasn’t concentrating well, - so marked one ‘loop’ of the edge in
black, and the overlapping one in red – and did that all around the pattern.
It worked beautifully – I knew exactly where I was the whole time. The
trails were marked in green, and I think the cloth stitch pattern bits were
blue, -- whatever – it all helped me make the lace Enjoyably (which is the
whole point!) When you have a forest of pins it is sometimes hard to see what
is what, -- so get out the coloured pens and get some marks there before you
start, so you can enjoy the journey.
Who will ever know you marked the pricking first?!!  - and anyone who finds
out will most probably think you Very Sensible!!!

Thank you for that book review on the new Korella book, Jeri.  It looks like
another great book.

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.. --where we had 35mm rain last evening
(1⅜inches) - the first good rain for Ages!