Re the query from Ann Humphreys lace digest no.#39:

As many people are perhaps aware, way back in 1991, I worked out how it
would be possible to invisibly change the colours of threads when working
lace and was invited by BT Batsford to write two books* about it.

The methods are many and varied but the basic advice that I can offer is:
Hang the new pair on a temporary pin above the work, as near as possible in
the angle along which it will be travelling once in work.i.e. if it is a
passive pair to be changed, then the new pair is to hang directly above the
work, but if the leader pair is to be changed, then the new pair is to hang
along the path the leaders will take.
Cloth stitch the new pair through the old pair and tension, tie a
reef/square knot and a half with the old pair.....remembering, to when
tying the knots of the old pair, to tension the threads by pulling their
ends along the direction that the old thread, and consequently the new
thread will be travelling i.e.a new passive pair will be tied vertically,
whereas a leader pair will be tied slightly off the horizontal.
Ease down the new pair, and throw back the old pair, both pairs still
following their angles of working.

Basic, illustrated, thread changing pattern booklets and more advanced
patterns are available from my website:
www.sandiwoods.com
where I may also be contacted (via the website).

I will be tutoring a workshop 'Changing Colour in Lace' at The Lace Society
AGM on 29th April 2017 - for more information and details contact The Lace
Society.

*Both of these books are out of print, but it is worth enquiring of The
Lace Guild from time to time to see if they have used/donated copies of my
two books; 'Special Effects in Coloured Bobbin Lace' and 'Alphabet
Inspirations in Coloured Bobbin Lace'.

Hopefully this note may be of some help to Ann and others...
Sandi Woods
(Currently enjoying yet more torrential rain in Warwickshire, UK)