The conical cylinders are designed to make square handkerchief edgings in a
continuous fashion.  The side section of lace is only as long as the
circumference of the cylinder, following the offset line of the pattern.  If
longer edges were desired, a difference method was needed -- unless you did as
you mentioned and unpinned, changed pattern, repinned  for each corner and
long section.
It's possible to use a roller on a square corner, but it still requires
repinning.  A straight section is done, and down to a point at the corner --
working to the central diagonal line from the inside corner to the outside
corner but not past it.  Then unpin, reset the pattern, and repin, turning
your work 90 degrees..  Do the next long side from point to point, and
repeat.  This is a bit awkward but can be done.

I find it easier to use a block pillow.  Try to lay out the pattern so the
corner section is contained in one block.  Work to the diagonal line from the
inside corner to the outside corner, then pick up the block and turn it 90
degrees.  No unpinning -- just rearranging.  Or turn the whole pillow 90
degrees and keep working, depending on what style of block pillow you have.
You can keep moving the blocks up for as long an edging as you wish.

Alice in Oregon

    On Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:49 PM, Sally Jenkins <dansing...@gmail.com>