It's interesting to read the different ways different people tackle the
problem, and I'm sitting here wondering how many who regularly use the ghost
pillow/voodoo board method were self taught? It is something I haven't used, in
the "something to stick pins into" version, though I have at times kept a
diagram or pattern draft at hand to check, especially with my latest bracelet
when I was manipulating the threads to work specific stitches in specific
colours (I've submitted this pattern to the CLG for publication). My problem is
often not so much where I am on a pattern (ie which pinhole to work next), as
which stitch I was using for that section of ground - particularly when I've
come back to the lace three or more weeks/months later!

In the fifteen years I was teaching, I recognised early on that not all
lacemakers can follow diagrams, and sometimes for them it was a case of step by
step written instructions. Many understand the words "cross" and "twist" easier
than the numbering of bobbins (2 over 3 etc always leaves me tongue-tied, and
I'm numerically minded!). To teach how the various combinations of cross and
twist affect the thread paths, and thus how to understand construction, I found
it easier to get students to work a sampler using a different colour on each
pair. (Stranded embroidery cotton is a relatively easy way of amassing enough
colours without spending a lot). Pattern marking also helps - expecially
marking in the unpinned corner stitches in roseground with a cross, showing
where the relevant pairs have come from/are going to. As you progress, you
don't need to mark your pattern as much - but if you are not using a covering
film make sure you are using waterproof ink!

Good light and a magnifying glass help in identifying which is the top pinhole
of the next diagonal to be worked, especially when working Bucks at an angle of
36 degrees (the most difficult aspect of that was getting my head round the
extreme steepness of the downhill slope!). The basic rule of not working uphill
(except for the gap rows in honeycomb, and as one of my teachers, Jennifer
Ford, put it, "in floral Bucks when you are cheating") means that if you
understand that geometric lace is worked (in nearly all cases) on a diagonal,
from the unworked pinhole furthest away from you, along a diagonal line to the
pinhole closest to you, and that you take the pairs from either side of that
top pinhole to work the stitch, you can usually work out where you are and
where you need to go next without too much difficulty. Sometimes there is more
than one choice, and then it usually doesn't really matter which you work
first. In Torchon, when you are working a cloth or half stitch e!
 lement (eg a diamond shape), or a winkie-pin edge, leaving the last pin
uncovered when you stop makes it obvious where you need to go next.  Spangled
bobbins make it easy to tie a "tell-tail" onto the worker bobbin (half stitch)
or bobbins. Then it is just a matter of practicing the stops and starts....
having two cats demanding to be let in or out at regular intervals, or family
to interrupt, ensures you get plenty of practice!

That said, using an enlarged diagram covered in plastic film or laminated, and
having low-tack adhesive stickers or dry wipe pens to mark your place sounds a
much better idea than sticking pins in or drawing over the lines. It means that
if you decide to do the same pattern again, you can re-use your original
enlarged copy, rather than having to reproduce it.

Jane Partridge