How they kept count? - I think this might be where the ‘Striver’ or ‘King pin’
was used. Placing a decorated pin on the footside where they began a repeat, on
completing that pattern or number of rows/pins they would put in another
‘striver’ thereby ‘striving’ to complete the pattern and so on.
They would be able to see at a glance how much work they had accomplished.
I hope that is understandable! I’m presuming that you know about the decorated
pins used by the East Midlands Lace makers?

Diana in Northamptonshire