Yes, there is a point ground lace on the Ipswich (Massachusetts) pillow at
the Smithsonian. It was being worked on by a 90+ year old lace maker in the
1860s. She had worked Ipswich lace during the late 1700s on the same lace
pillow while living in Ipswich, MA. Not surprisingly she was still using
the equipment she brought with her from Ipswich when she got married and
moved to Hallowell, Maine. It is hard to know where she got her point
ground pricking, but since point ground lace was very common in the 1860s
she could have received that pricking from anywhere. Or maybe she made it
herself from a snippet of lace? We don't know. I think the extra rows of
pinholes makes it possible to make the lace anywhere from 1 1/2 cm to 3 1/2
cm wide. Whether the lace maker used wirkiepin or sewing edge would not
make a difference on the pricking, just the number of bobbins she used.
Hope this helps.
-Karen
​rom Devon:​