Sort of coming out of lurkdom to contribute a trick I have been using
since I started doing/learning Flanders lace. I had a hard time keeping
track of the 'ring pair' and often ended up going right past it and then
having to unlace to find it back again. I finally hit on a way to keep
track of the ring pair. Using a different pair doesn't work, cause the
ring pair often changes. But...I have started using small elastics to
mark the ring pair, they are easily put on or taken off when they are no
longer a ring pair, no more unlacing to find the ring pair back. They
are small, about 1/2 inch diameter, and wrap around the bottom of
continentals 2x to stay in place.
And once I started Binche, which not only has ring pairs, but also
contour pairs, I was glad the package of little elastics (they came from
the hair accessories department at the dollar store) had both white and
black ones. so now any ring pair gets black elastics, and the contour
pair gets the white ones. And since there are lots of elastics, it makes
no difference how many of each pair set I need, and they are easily
replaced if the snap, which they do cause they so often need to be moved
from one pair of bobbins to another, and they were only $1 for a package
of at least 100 (could be more, I lost the tag of the package).

*Marianne*

Marianne Gallant
Vernon, BC Canada
m...@shaw.ca