Thanks to all who posted or wrote privately—I appreciate the feedback.
Apparently we are all in the same boat!  In a sea of options, there are very
few dependable candidates.  And the finer the work, the more critical the need
for accurate, ultra-fine blades.  My search may be over now that I own the
Roulot #40!  They won’t be needed for needlepoint wool, but will be
indispensable for fine lace & embroidery.  If anyone else is conflicted with
their scissors, may I recommend Kai?  I own 5100 & 5100B (bent handle).  They
are stainless, sharp & pointy.  Both have remained sharp for at least ten years
& I’ve used them for goldwork (not the metal threads!), lace, Japanese
embroidery & general purpose needlepoint.  For metal threads, I use stainless
scissors made in Pakistan that I bought in a fly fishing shop.  The blades have
tiny serrations so have held up well.   It was surprising to learn that I own
all the scissor brands that were mentioned by Arachne members, plus ma!
 ny others.  I’m sorry to conclude that there are no secret decoder scissors &
some of the best known brands are the least effective.  Happy lacemaking &
wishing you well in 2018! Sincerely, Susan Hottle USA

Sent from my iPad