Please search the name - Iris Apfel.  She is a 96-yr-old American fashion
icon.  The windows at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC (Fifth Avenue at 58th Street)
are currently (March 2018) featuring her fashion products as part of what
appears to be a pop-up shopping experience.  If you are near the store, go to
Apfel is one of very few living artists to have had an exhibit at the
Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute.  I have written about her in the
past, because of her 2007 book, reprinted in 2010:  Rare Bird of Fashion -
The Irreverent Iris Apfel.   When a quick jolt of inspiration is needed, I
search her name at Home Shopping Network -  You will get a good
summary of her uniqueness, not a sales pitch, at:
Suggest you look at the photos and notice all the out-of-context fashion
accessories in her home - rooms filled with exquisite antiques.  You can read
the excerpt from her new book.  It will inspire everyone from young fashion
students to seniors.  A positive experience.
In 1950 (5 years after the end of WWII), the Apfels founded Old World Weavers,
a luxury fabric company.  They traveled the world, helping the industry to
get back on its feet after the severe damages of war.  Their ads appeared in
Architectural Digest, which I've collected since the 1960s.  That is how I
first became aware of the Apfels - their products inspired embroidery designs.
 Back in the 70s and 80s I saw Apfel in public places in Manhattan.  Each
sighting was a strong visual experience.
Wish we had some lace fashionistas automatically wearing lace the way Apfel
has worn accessories the past 70 years.  Please consider the possibility of
attaching lace to clothing you wear when you go out in public.
Example:   The Lacemakers of Maine presentation theme at a lace exhibit and
demonstration on March 17th (Saint Patricks Day) features butterflies.  I
will wear a hip length floaty black jacket (it drapes from shoulder down).
There are 5 different white butterflies from different nations flying up the
back from lower left to upper right.  A collection of 3-D Czech flowers are
sewn on the left shoulder front, like a corsage.  Black sewing thread blends
with the ground fabric, and large basting stitches are used on the fabric side
with a tiny stitch every so often on the lace side.  This makes it easier to
remove the lace when jacket needs laundering.  If one removes a jacket, the
stitches are not boldly visible, as they would be if white thread was used.
 In addition, for a touch of green, tatted shamrocks as earrings.  Remember,
I have warned about possible damage to lace from car seat belts.  Carry a
lace garment with you, instead of on you, when traveling.
Request 1:  Please plan to wear lace when you attend any lace exhibit, so
that the public will see that lace is still being worn.  It will be a great
conversation starter, and enhance their experience.
Request 2:  Please invent a way to become known for wearing lace.  Jean
Leader has made bobbin lace earrings in many colors and various designs.
 They are eye candy when we find ourselves face-to-face with her.  This is
an example of a memorable way to promote lace.
Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

To unsubscribe send email to containing the line:
unsubscribe lace For help, write to Photo site: