People are contacting me privately with observations which are very
interesting.
One correspondent believes that post war immigration of Europeans to the US
was a factor in the development of lacemaking here.
This is an interesting observation because there were a number of people who
were major figures in the 1970s who had learned lace in Europe. My teacher,
Gunvor Jorgensen, learned lace in Tonder, Denmark. It took me a while to
realize that she had not learned this as some kind of a folk progression
leading directly from the 17th century, but rather as part of a late 19th,
early 20th century government initiative to re-introduce this important
heritage craft to Tonder.
Kathe Kliot was a German refugee who was very instrumental in the California
lace movement. Radmila Zuman was from Czecholoslovakia. In addition to the
immigrants, Americans were learning the craft in Europe possibly during
military or other job postings. In fact, it would have been rather hard to
learn the craft in the US from someone who had learned it in the US in the
1970s, although it would not be the case now.
Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10