Marianne

The facebook page I set up for needle lace has as its sole purpose to direct
people to the ning site, where all the action occurs. I belong to nearly 20
facebook lace sites of various kinds. So I am familiar with how it works. I
deliberately chose not to use facebook for my own network because I don’t
like the way their software works, I don’t like facebook’s own priorities,
and I don’t like being used for facebook’s purposes. In the recent news we
have heard about data mining, it appears that my decision was absolutely
right, even though it happened much much earlier than the current flap.  As I
participate in my various facebook groups I direct their attention to
needlelacetalk when appropriate. I am more concerned with getting new members
from google searches than from facebook. Although we do get members and
traffic from facebook.

Also, I have set needlelacetalk to be public which means that the whole world
can see everything on the site, except the member list. But I have also set it
so that I can weed out spammers and other “bad actors”. For a facebook
group to weed out spammers the group must be private, so nobody in the world
but members can see the content. I do think my method is better in giving
potential worldwide exposure to lace.

I’m surprised you hadn’t discovered needlelacetalk from your facebook
activity. But, admittedly, I try not to be too in-your-face in directing
people to needlelacetalk. Such behavior would not be welcome to the group
administrators. So I try to be “tactful” about it.

Lorelei

From: Marianne Gallant <m...@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [lace] Re: Lace, Not Lace Reaction to Needle Lace Revival Arachne
comments 3/28/18

I know there are 'pages' on Facebook, but that is just not the same as groups.