I agree with many of you, the recent discussions on Arachne have been quite
fascinating.

Gil Dye said bobbin lace in the 16th century:  bobbin lace evolved in the
sixteenth century from braid making and exactly the same techniques were used
for the colourful surface decorations in metal threads and coloured silks as
for the white linen bobbin lace on the ruffs of the time - where bobbin and
needle lace were often used together, and were sometimes barely
distinguishable.

This made me wonder if is possible for Devon to include any historical display
boards with photos of early needle and bobbin lace (in white)  and the
colourful braids from which the bobbin lace evolved and the very colourful
raised embroidery (stumpwork) being done in the mid-1600s.

Sue

suebabbs...@gmail.com