I am finding this topic very interesting. I have been maths challenged all my
life. Numbers make no sense to me. Only verbal explanations or the written
word.
I am a mainly self taught lacemaker. I did go to a lace tutor who told me I
would never be a lacemaker if I couldn’t follow a working diagram and
insisted I work only that way. I could not understand and it caused such
anxiety I gave up.
Some years later I was given some Christine Springett videos which all made
sense to me listening and watching and working at the same time. I still work
only patterns I can understand or from books with written instructions.
Perhaps it is that an ability to understand lacemaking needs an understanding
of maths.