Liz R brings up the point about how historically, lacemakers did not have
the benefit of detailed diagrams and would have had to keep the designs in
their head, even for complex lace like Binche. Devon and I were just
talking about this the other day at the Yale lace event and it was boggling
our minds.

Simpler types of lace like guipure would have been easy enough to figure
out but for a wide piece of something like Binche or Mechlin would be
incredibly difficult!

Does anyone have further insight on following complex patterns without a
diagram? And when we think diagrams evolved? I saw a student's workbook
from the turn of the century on display at the Rococo Lace Manufactory in
Brugge that used color coding so it was at least in practice by then. Would
lacemakers have worked out the pattern by drawing it perhaps? Or was it
really all in their heads? Any primary sources for this?

Stimulating conversation as always!
Best,
Elena