Another book, one I haven't seen mentioned; my apologies if it was and I
missed it.  I just stumbled across a book about a young Dutch lacemaker in
the mid-1700's who goes to South Africa as a governess, in a Kindle edition
on Amazon. (Self-published?)  The Lacemaker, by Sukey Hughes. I have read
only the first few chapters, but the references to bobbin lace so far are
okay. She talks about a pattern held up to the light looking like a pattern
of stars, for example. The writing is okay (more sentence fragments than
necessary) and the plot so far is predictable beyond the basic conceit, but
I'm not very far into it.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA