It has taken a concerted effort, in modern times, to set up seed banks, in
which seeds of strains no longer being grown or of species threatened with
extinction, are saved and protected. Seed isn't viable forever: these seed
banks have to maintain special conditions to store the seed. If I were an
individual in a country being threatened or invaded by a hostile army, and
with shortages of food and other items, perhaps a woman whose husband has
been conscripted and whose children are hungry, saving some seeds of a
plant no longer useful to me would be the last thing I'd bother with, even
if I could keep the seed viable. We need to look at the situation from the
perspective of the people under the conditions of the time. Why would they
be willing to save something that could get them killed (the French
Revolution scenario) or something no longer useful to them (WWI, economic
pressures)?

Nancy
Connecticut, USA