Sue,

What kind of texture do you want the finished item to have? Soft and a
little fuzzy perhaps, or with crisp distinct stitches? I ask because if you
want the latter, you might be happier with a harder yarn such as one used
for weaving.  Search on something like "cotton yarn weaving UK". For
example, my search turned up a place in the UK that sells weaving cottons
(e.g.
http://airedaleyarns.co.uk/index.php/yarns-fibres-for/weaving/double-top-dk-cotton-skeins.html),
in several different sizes, at least two of which have various colors and
sound heavy enough for your purposes.

If you find two or three weaving yarn websites that look promising, I'll
bet they all would send you six inches of each of the sizes they carry so
you could evaluate coverage of your plastic canvas. In general, I'll bet
they would be happy to answer questions about the tightness of the twist,
number of plies, etc. of the different yarns.

Just some thoughts, HTH.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA