I have found black thread hard to work with if the pricking is made of a
card too light in color. If the contrast is too great, then the eye has
trouble seeing the details of the black threads. (Same with photographing
or photocopying black lace.) So it might seem contrary, but using a medium
to darker color for your pricking or background makes the contrast within
the black thread paths clearer.

I have come to greatly prefer a medium-dark red card for my prickings, for
white, ecru, and black threads all. It is much easier on my eyes than the
brighter or lighter blue cards.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA