Dear Janice,

I think the best photos would be the ones that are in the catalog, which will
be available from Amazon for $30.00. Those people attending the opening and
visiting the exhibit might like to buy the catalog from the museum to show
support for them taking the risk of holding an exhibit of art made from
lacemaking techniques. Three cheers for the Hunterdon Art Museum! Also, you
could save money on postage.
The catalog is 76 pages long and has photos of all the work except Manca
Ahlin’s new piece, because it will only exist as of Sept. 23rd. There is an
entry for each artist giving information about the artist’s work and
background. Also, I asked each artist how they learned to make lace which I
thought was interesting, since, as we know, it isn’t the easiest thing to
find instruction in. There is an essay by Dagmar Beckel-Machyckova describing
the economic and governmental environment in Czechoslovakia that encouraged
Czech modern lacemaking. The essay focuses on Milca Eremiasova who has taught
and mentored Dagmar. There is also an essay by Lieve Jerger in which she
explains the iconography of the Carriage of Lost Love, why she started it and
what it means to her.
I was overwhelmed by the generosity and skills of members of the Brooklyn Lace
Guild who helped with the catalog. Elena Kanagy-Loux and Amy Mills did some
sophisticated photo editing, hence the likely superiority of these photos to
those that will be taken at the opening. Elena also did some great graphics
for the glossary. Kathleen Collins spent an incredible amount of time
designing and laying out the catalog and it shows. Kathleen works in art
publishing and has decided to start her own press, Openwork Imprint. The
mission of Openwork Imprint is to bring together new perspectives on
textile-based processes and practices. I am also very thankful to Nancy Neff,
a published author in her own right, two times over, for her help in editing.
It was a wonderful experience working together as a team to produce this
catalog. I thought it was very important to have a catalog because when a
museum wants to put on a show the first thing they do is to collect catalogs
of similar shows. Also, once the show is over, the only lasting record of it
is the catalog.

Devon