Dear Doris,
I am so glad that you like the catalog for Lace, not Lace.
The opening is a week from Sunday, and it is getting very exciting
here. Lieve Jerger arrived last Sunday and spent Monday, Tuesday and
Wednesday installing the Carriage of Lost Love, the life size copper
wire bobbin lace carriage that she has been working on since 1977. It
is even more spectacular in person than in a photograph. I am
impressed with the Hunterdon Art Museum and the talent they can call
upon for installing art work. Once it had been installed by Lieve, the
museum called in a Marco Antonio Hernandez of
https://www.creativelabconsulting.com/ to hang the largest of the four
wheels, and to work on the lighting. He has done a fantastic job of
lighting the carriage. It was a bit of a conundrum because when you
light the carriage from the outside, the light makes the wire sparkle
magically. But when you light the carriage from the inside, it has the
effect of projecting the designs of the carriages windows on the wall
where they are enlarged like a shadow show. In fact, you can see the
half stitch better when it is enlarged and projected on the wall by
the lighting, than you can even see it by looking directly at the
carriage. However, Marco came in and managed to achieve both effects
simultaneously. Bravo! I took a little film of the effect and posted
it on the International Organization of Lace's facebook page. However,
it is hard to really convey how magical it looks in photographs.
The rest of the art is unpacked and laid out where it will be
installed. Yesterday Alex Goldberg installed her invisible lace,
called Invisible Place. When you approach it from across the room you
really can't see it, but as you get closer you begin to see the
shadows on the wall. I am looking forward to seeing what Marco and the
other installer, Seth will do with lighting this.
Manca Ahlin is due to install her two pieces, one of them the never
before seen, Mani Lace Wall. This piece is based on her recent travels
to Tibet where the Mani stones piled up into prayer walls reminded her
of lace.
The museum opens at 11 am. Due to the party like aspect of the opening
reception, people might like to come a little early to really look at
the art. The reception is 3-5. I will speak briefly at 4. At 5 o'clock
we will go out to the terrace where Choi + Shine will speak about the
Urchins, the two large reticella style crocheted Urchins that will be
on display until Oct. 7. There will be music and a food truck on the
terrace. At 6:50, sundown, the Urchins will be lit for the first time.
People are able to stand inside the Urchins while they float
ethereally. I am hoping to have my picture taken inside one.
Afterward, people who are staying over, or who just want to congregate
are encouraged to go over to the Holiday Inn for a drink. If you think
you might do this, let me know so that I can give the Holiday Inn a
rough number of people, so they are properly staffed.
Devon