Your lace may very well be as good as, or even better than, lace made by
someone who has had a teacher. Or not.

Some people can have the best teachers and still produce bad lace. Some don’t
tension well. Some have short attention spans. Some people can’t see as well as
they think they can. Many people aren’t good at comparing what they’re making
with the examples they’re shown.

There are so many factors at work - are you conscientious, do you take care to
make your lace look like what’s in the book, do you read attentively and how
well do you understand what you’ve read, how well do you follow the
instructions, do you take the trouble to find thread the right size for the
pricking.

Having a teacher means you get set up nicely with well-matched thread and
pricking and any mistakes or bad habits are pointed out to you. The secrets a
teacher passes on - well, they’re not really secrets, just lace lore, and what
gets passed on depends on the teacher, the time available, and the questions
that are asked. A lot of learning stems from the other students in the class -
somebody might ask if they can substitute 100/3 for 60/2, and the teacher might
use the situation to talk about thread sizes and things to think about when
switching threads, or the teacher might just answer yes or no.

Each teacher has different strengths and weaknesses that may or may not be a
good fit for you. So you can’t know for sure that you’d make better lace if you
had a teacher. And if you did have a teacher, you might learn better from a
different one.

I guess what I want to say is that in-person instruction is a good way to
learn, but in-person instruction from several different teachers is even
better, and one person working off the grid in a cabin in the woods with the
single worst instruction book ever printed may still learn to make good quality
lace.

Just my 2 cents.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC