Actually there's a guipure form of Carrickmacross that is lace without
question. It's much less common than  the applique form. I'll try to find a
good picture to put up on Arachne2003; my specimens are too hard to dig out
right now or I'd photograph those...

With regard to whether applique is truly lace or not, there are other forms
of applique that are indubitably lace, such as Brussels applique. I think
the net ground makes the applique form of Carrickmacross lace even by
purist lacemakers' definition.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA

Jeri Ames wrote:

We know that technically, this is embroidery and applique
applied by hand to a pre-existing foundation fabric (usually net).